Skip to main content

WooCommerce: Utilizing Custom Attributes

I must admit, I have a quite a love/hate relationship when it comes to WordPress.  As with some frameworks, it often takes a bit of rewiring to be not so... controlling.  On the other end of the spectrum, it has an enormous community, and you'll almost never be out of work when it comes to being able to build and support.  Plus, to be fair, it is not as targetted directly to developers unlike other Content Management systems like October CMS.

Back on topic, I have recently been given a requirement to integrate our internally developed product CRM with WooCommerce, and would like to cover one important aspect of it: custom attributes.  It has taken a lot of research to making it just the way we needed to, so allow me to share some of the things I have learned along the way.

First, we need to add our products with our custom attributes, this topic, while it was available, didn't seem to be as documented as attributes with set options (terms) attached to it, so it was a bit of trial and error.  So, that was done this way:

Take note of the name and value for the custom attribute "catalogue_id" - one of the problems I faced was that our products each belong to a separate catalogue, and needs to be filtered for the customer depending on the catalogue that applies to them only.  When products are being listed in the shopfront, the filter woocommerce_product_query_meta_query is triggered.  Therefore, in the functions, I have placed the additional filter:

Notice here how I am having to query not just one attribute, but all of them in the one query - which is why I have had to mask the value as _cid_####_ so it then would not incorrectly pick up another attribute.  This was a little annoying.

Finally, and this was one of the more tricker alterations of this implementation, this does not change the product counts in the category list widget.  It was of no surprise that this was primarily being performed by WordPress itself, and I didn't want to alter much of this code - so to suit, I designed my own query and rendered out the LI elements in the same way that WooCommerce would have:

As you can see, this gave me the added bonus of being able to put a category for "All Products" as well.

So there you have it!  We've covered a lot of bases with what can be quickly acheived with custom attributes.  Please share what experiments you come up with as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

question2answer Wordpress Integration

 Today I want to journal my implementation of a WordPress site with the package of "question2answer".  It comes as self-promoted as being able to integrate with WordPress "out of the box".  I'm going to vent a small amount of frustration here, because the only integration going on is the simplicity of configuration with using the same database, along with the user authentication of WordPress.  Otherwise they run as two separate sites/themes. This will not do. So let's get to some context.  I have a new hobby project in mind which requires a open source stack-overflow clone.  Enter question2answer .  Now I don't want to come across as completely ungrateful, this package - while old, ticks all the boxes and looks like it was well maintained, but I need every  page to look the same to have a seamless integration.  So, let's go through this step by step. Forum Index Update This step probably  doesn't need to be done, but I just wanted to make sure th

Machine Learning: Teaching Wisdom of the Crowd

I got lost in an absolute myriad of thoughts the other day, and it essentially wound up wondering if we can teach machines to count, beyond of what it can see in an image, and I've come up with a small experiment that I would absolutely love to collaborate on if anyone (@ Google ?) else is interested. The idea is based on  the concept of the experiments performed using " Wisdom of the Crowd ", commonly in this experiment to use a jar of jelly beans and asking many people to make a guess as to how many is in there.  Machine learning can be used to make predictions from patterns, but it would have nothing to gain looking at one picture of a jelly bean jar to the next and being able to correctly identify that is in fact - a jar of jelly beans. But suppose we feed it several images of jars of jelly beans, along with all of the guesses people have made of how many is in there.  Can we then presume that feeding it a new image, it would be able to give us a fairly accurate c

WooCommerce: Controlling an Asset CDN

Continuing on from my last post , I faced a new issue when it came to adding products and the associated images I was putting in (from Cloudinary ) was getting uploaded to the WordPress media library. Not only that, using the URL from my site instead of the CDN it had come from. Double up on all of my images, what a waste - and I want to host from the CDN to keep costs of bandwidth down.  So let me show you how I overcame it. Separating the herd What was interesting, is that it was keeping a record of the original source location, and I found I could filter these apart from the rest of my media library: With this in mind, I wrote a function around it so I could use it to give me a true/false if the given attachment was from this source. Attaching the hook Next, needed a way that as soon as an image was added, that it would update the attachment (post) pointing to the correct reference, and not to the file on our server. I found the add_attachment hook, which fires only whe